RKN Global on Bribery
Bribery involves giving or receiving a financial advantage or another type of advantage so in order to improperly alter the recipient’s behavior. The act of bribery does not have to involve money; it can involve gifts, tickets to events, or special treatment during a business trip, for example.
Bribery can affect almost every aspect of our world, from multi-million dollar businesses, to education, from health to politics to transport, and more. Acts of bribery can have a profound effect on peoples’ lives, and in some cases may even prevent them from getting the right medical treatment they need, or having a say on how their country is run.
In one recent case, the founder of the drug company ‘Insys Therapeutics’ faced charges that involve bribing pharmacists, doctors, and other medical staff. The case also involved kickbacks, which are essentially a commission that that taker of the bribe receives for performing a particular function.
Prosecutors said that the case involving the company’s founder involved bribes and kickbacks in a bid to boost sales of an opioid spray that is thought to reduce pain in those suffering from cancer. Eighty times more powerful than morphine, the spray, known as Subsys, had been approved by the FDA and was only meant to be used by cancer patients who were suffering from breakthrough pain.
RKN Global’s founder, Ronald K. Noble, notes that authorities in the United States have been fighting an opioid epidemic throughout the country.
While the fight against the opioid epidemic was in full throttle, Insys Therapuetics allegedly offered bribes and kickbacks to medical staff to encourage them to write unnecessary prescriptions to patients, many of who may not have had cancer.
- The Future of Food Security in a World of Climate Change - September 21, 2022
- The Effect of Population Growth on Food Security - September 6, 2022
- Role of Urban Agriculture in Improving Food Security - August 22, 2022
- Reducing Food Waste to Address Food Insecurity - August 1, 2022
- How Technology Helps Tackle Food Insecurity - July 17, 2022
- How to Use Esports to Improve Student Performance - June 29, 2022
- How Much Do Esports Players Make - June 14, 2022
- How eSports Help Students Cultivate Soft Skills - May 30, 2022
- 5 Skills You Need to Become an Esports Pro - May 15, 2022
- 6 Ways Esports Players Can Improve Their Well-being and Performance - April 29, 2022