The Need for Cyber-Security Professionals
The Importance of Cyber-Security
It is no longer possible to ignore cyber-security. The risk of cyber attacks is very real and affects millions of businesses. There is not a day that goes by without a hack. In many cases, victimized companies do not have the important security tools necessary to prevent it or reduce its impact.
Cyber-attacks can lead to both financial and reputational losses, even to the point of shutting a company down. The public healthcare IT systems of Singapore, for example, suffered a cyber-attack in 2018 which compromised the sensitive and personal data of over 160,000 patients. There is not a single developing or developed country that has not been affected by a cyber-attack. Cyber security is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
In Light of the Need for Cyber-Security Professionals, Who Will Work in Cyber-Security?
One cyber-security expert, Dr. Magda Chelly, explained the across-the-board need for cyber-security professionals. Until recently, the demand for cyber security services was not as great as it is now. Companies were more interested in IT, CRMs and digitalization. As a result, new graduates went to pursue careers in other cyber fields, which is why there has been a shortage of cyber-security professionals. As a result, the shortage of cyber-security professionals will likely continue until 2028.
Chelly explained that until a few years ago, cyber-security required primarily technical skills, but now companies look for skills like incident and crisis management, security management, and threat and vulnerability assessment. Furthermore, while industry-recognized certifications like CSSP or CISSP certifications are important, real-life hacking experience can be invaluable.
- Social Media: The Silver Platter for Identity Thieves - November 4, 2019
- How to Prevent Cyber Attacks Effectively - October 31, 2019
- Fighting Misinformation, and Editorial Discretion - October 23, 2019
- Third Party Consultants and Watchdogs: The Highs and the Lows - October 8, 2019
- The Massive Scope of Cryptocurrency Fraud and Scams - September 23, 2019
- The Trend towards Transparency and Control - September 9, 2019
- The Need for Cyber-Security Professionals - September 3, 2019
- Identity Theft Targeting Kids Becoming More Common - August 28, 2019
- Government Concerns about Libra - August 19, 2019
- Newly Discovered Ransomware Sheds Light on the Threat - July 31, 2019