Ransomware Hits A School District
Today, we look back at a ransomware attack on a school district from a few months ago. As COVID-19 drives more and more schools and businesses online, the importance of preventing hacking attacks becomes even more acute.
A few months ago, a ransomware attack hit a school district in California. It shut down the phone system and servers of the Mountain View-Los Altos school district. The attackers demanded ransom in bitcoin in exchange for restoring the service.
Ransomware shuts down district operations
The ransomware has created problems for school administrators and teachers by closing down their access to files on the district’s servers. The attack on the systems halted or postponed many important classroom activities like presentations and exams.
The software behind the attack is called Sodinokibi. It emerged in 2019 and has now spread across the globe. This malware also hit the London-based Travelex exchange company in January. It demanded a ransom of over USD $6 million in cryptocurrency from Travelex.
Private company helped school administrators restore services
A private cyber security company worked with the Mountain View-Los Altos administration to restore services.
Hackers have become more and more interested in attacking large businesses and governments. This is because of their ability to pay ransoms. It is also because of the essential nature of their services to the public. An example is the attack on New Orleans, where the city had to spend over USD $7 Million to restore its computer system. Though New Orleans is said to recoup over USD $3 million of its lost funds. This is because it took out an insurance policy to protect itself in the event of ransomware attacks. Indeed, as cyber attacks increase, the field of cyber insurance continues to grow as businesses and governments look to protect themselves.
- The Future of Food Security in a World of Climate Change - September 21, 2022
- The Effect of Population Growth on Food Security - September 6, 2022
- Role of Urban Agriculture in Improving Food Security - August 22, 2022
- Reducing Food Waste to Address Food Insecurity - August 1, 2022
- How Technology Helps Tackle Food Insecurity - July 17, 2022
- How to Use Esports to Improve Student Performance - June 29, 2022
- How Much Do Esports Players Make - June 14, 2022
- How eSports Help Students Cultivate Soft Skills - May 30, 2022
- 5 Skills You Need to Become an Esports Pro - May 15, 2022
- 6 Ways Esports Players Can Improve Their Well-being and Performance - April 29, 2022