India to Take Legal Action If Twitter Fails To Stop Hate Messages
The government of India has warned Twitter of serious consequences, including legal action, if the micro-blogging giant fails to put a halt to incendiary messages that incite violence. Twitter has been criticized by many for not doing enough to combat hate speech and misinformation on its platform.
Government advises Twitter to remove unlawful content, under threat of legal action
The Indian government is watching Twitter’s activities and it has initiated strict action against objectionable content by opening up a direct channel with Twitter. It has advised Twitter to appoint full-time India-based contact persons and to create a system for taking care of problematic content.
In addition to this, the government has warned Twitter that strict legal action will be taken against the company if it doesn’t heed the requirements of Indian law enforcement agencies. According to officials, problematic content helps spread rumors and hate messages that incite crime and violence against women.
Indian officials said Twitter’s compliance of removal of objectionable content on the platform has been about 60% of what it could be, and even that has been only when a competent authority issued the order after following due process of law.
Twitter’s response neither full nor timely
Twitter representatives have been advised to improve their response system to requests by law enforcement agencies.
Some objectionable content on Twitter in the past has been cited as disrupting law and order as well as inciting criminal offences like communal violence. In response to the government’s initiatives, Twitter has reiterated its dedication to combatting problematic and inciting content and to complying with the law.
- The Future of Food Security in a World of Climate Change - September 21, 2022
- The Effect of Population Growth on Food Security - September 6, 2022
- Role of Urban Agriculture in Improving Food Security - August 22, 2022
- Reducing Food Waste to Address Food Insecurity - August 1, 2022
- How Technology Helps Tackle Food Insecurity - July 17, 2022
- How to Use Esports to Improve Student Performance - June 29, 2022
- How Much Do Esports Players Make - June 14, 2022
- How eSports Help Students Cultivate Soft Skills - May 30, 2022
- 5 Skills You Need to Become an Esports Pro - May 15, 2022
- 6 Ways Esports Players Can Improve Their Well-being and Performance - April 29, 2022