A well-known hacking group struck again and hijacked Twitter accounts for FC Barcelona and the Olympics. This hack marked the reappearance of the hacking group, OurMine, and also revealed some of the vulnerabilities of Twitter accounts, especially with regard to third party tools.
The hackers’ and Twitter’s sides of the story
Twitter issued a statement that the OurMine group hijacked the accounts using a third-party platform. Twitter added it took security precautions once it became aware of the hack. It locked the compromised accounts and started working with its partners to restore them.
OurMine said that it used security issues with employees in order to gain access to a third-party application.
This is not the first time the group has hijacked a sports account – just before the Super bowl last month, it compromised the accounts of several NFL teams, including the Chiefs and the 49ers.
The hacking exploits have drawn media attention to its claims that everything is “hackable.”
OurMine claims five members and purports to be a “white hat” group, which hacks simply to raise awareness of cyber vulnerabilities. After hacking the official Twitter account of the Olympics, the group posted, “Hi, we are OurMine. Everything is hackable.”
The victims – the International Olympic Committee and FC Barcelona – -are investigating. What is certain is that, whether OurMine is “white hat” or not, it has drawn attention to the risk of a hack of social media.
- RobbinHood – the Latest Ransomware in Town - March 31, 2020
- Fake News About COVID-19 is Very Real and Very Dangerous - March 17, 2020
- Hacking Twitter - March 9, 2020
- Next Technique in the Fake News War: Flagging Photoshopped Images - March 3, 2020
- Social Media versus Coronavirus Misinformation - February 25, 2020
- Public and Private Sectors Tackling Cyber Threats - February 20, 2020
- Combating Social Media Ad Abuse through Greater User Control - February 11, 2020
- Protecting Against the Snatch Ransomware Threat - February 4, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency Exchange, A Dead Man’s Account, and Exhuming a Corpse - January 31, 2020
- Fake News Alerts in India - January 24, 2020