A well-known hacking group struck again and hijacked Twitter accounts for FC Barcelona and the Olympics. This hack marked the reappearance of the hacking group, OurMine, and also revealed some of the vulnerabilities of Twitter accounts, especially with regard to third party tools.
The hackers’ and Twitter’s sides of the story
Twitter issued a statement that the OurMine group hijacked the accounts using a third-party platform. Twitter added it took security precautions once it became aware of the hack. It locked the compromised accounts and started working with its partners to restore them.
OurMine said that it used security issues with employees in order to gain access to a third-party application.
This is not the first time the group has hijacked a sports account – just before the Super bowl last month, it compromised the accounts of several NFL teams, including the Chiefs and the 49ers.
The hacking exploits have drawn media attention to its claims that everything is “hackable.”
OurMine claims five members and purports to be a “white hat” group, which hacks simply to raise awareness of cyber vulnerabilities. After hacking the official Twitter account of the Olympics, the group posted, “Hi, we are OurMine. Everything is hackable.”
The victims – the International Olympic Committee and FC Barcelona – -are investigating. What is certain is that, whether OurMine is “white hat” or not, it has drawn attention to the risk of a hack of social media.
- How Can We Engage Young People in Addressing Food Insecurity - December 7, 2022
- What is the Link between Nutrition and Food Security? - November 22, 2022
- Protecting the Food Supply from Natural Disasters - November 7, 2022
- 7 Ways to Help People Who are Food Insecure - October 23, 2022
- 8 Innovations Reducing Food Insecurity - October 6, 2022
- The Future of Food Security in a World of Climate Change - September 21, 2022
- The Effect of Population Growth on Food Security - September 6, 2022
- Role of Urban Agriculture in Improving Food Security - August 22, 2022
- Reducing Food Waste to Address Food Insecurity - August 1, 2022
- How Technology Helps Tackle Food Insecurity - July 17, 2022