Ransomware Attack Forces Aerospace Company to Shutdown Manufacturing
Belgian-based aerospace manufacturer ASCO Industries shut down some of its units because of a ransomware attack on June 7, requiring the company to send home most of its staff. The attack put over 1,000 of its 1,400 global workers out of action and shut down manufacturing units in Germany, Belgium, Canada and the United States.
A Ransomware attack is a cyber attack in which hackers infect a computer system with a malicious code that shuts it down or renders it inoperable. The attackers then make demands—such as payment, often in cryptocurrency—in exchange for a key that will enable the victim to restore its systems.
ASCO to be acquired by Spirit AeroSystems soon
Asco confirmed the malicious intrusion to the Belgian news publisher Data News but refused to provide any additional information on the matter. According to reports, the company took outside help to help solve the issue.
ASCO is currently in the process of being bought by Spirit AeroSystems – a Wichita, Kansas-based first-tier aerostructures manufacturer. There has been no indication by either of the two companies that this cyber-attack would pose a problem in the acquisition of Asco.
Was it a ransomware attack or just a malware?
As the company has not released an official statement on the incident, some experts are even questioning whether it was a ransomware attack. Larry Trowell, principal security consultant at Synopsys, said his company does not know what has happened yet, and since it has not seen evidence that it was a ransomware attack, thinks it may be a direct attack or simply malware.
- Social Media: The Silver Platter for Identity Thieves - November 4, 2019
- How to Prevent Cyber Attacks Effectively - October 31, 2019
- Fighting Misinformation, and Editorial Discretion - October 23, 2019
- Third Party Consultants and Watchdogs: The Highs and the Lows - October 8, 2019
- The Massive Scope of Cryptocurrency Fraud and Scams - September 23, 2019
- The Trend towards Transparency and Control - September 9, 2019
- The Need for Cyber-Security Professionals - September 3, 2019
- Identity Theft Targeting Kids Becoming More Common - August 28, 2019
- Government Concerns about Libra - August 19, 2019
- Newly Discovered Ransomware Sheds Light on the Threat - July 31, 2019