According to the chair of a British parliamentary committee, Facebook continues to display a pattern of evasive behavior in response to questions about information sharing misuse of its data in the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Facebook recently released a 747-page acknowledgement which revealed that it had shared user information with over 52 technology firms, including Amazon, Apple, China-based companies like Oppo, Huawei, Lenovo and South Korea-based Samsung.
Will push Facebook until public gets the answers they deserve: UK Lawmakers
The report disclosed the data information sharing deals of the social networking site with other companies. Some of those deals are still in force, while Facebook has ended its partnerships with over 38 of the 52 companies.
Damian Collins, chair of a British parliamentary committee, said that the company is continuing to display a pattern of evasive behavior which emerged over the course of the committee’s inquiry.
Lawmakers explained that the answers of the social media giant had been lacking, including not sharing country-by-country revenues, refusing to share the types and amount of resources that are being devoted to security, and refusing accountability for digital political advertising and fraudulent ads on the site.
Collins said that lawmakers are looking into issuing a formal summons which would legally force Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to face the committee.
During his testimony before the U.S. Congress, Zuckerberg told lawmakers that even his own data was part of the user data that was shared improperly with the British political consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica. In March, the company was hit by a massive data scandal where UK-based Cambridge Analytica was accused of collecting data of over 87 million Facebook users without their permission to aid politicians.
- The Future of Food Security in a World of Climate Change - September 21, 2022
- The Effect of Population Growth on Food Security - September 6, 2022
- Role of Urban Agriculture in Improving Food Security - August 22, 2022
- Reducing Food Waste to Address Food Insecurity - August 1, 2022
- How Technology Helps Tackle Food Insecurity - July 17, 2022
- How to Use Esports to Improve Student Performance - June 29, 2022
- How Much Do Esports Players Make - June 14, 2022
- How eSports Help Students Cultivate Soft Skills - May 30, 2022
- 5 Skills You Need to Become an Esports Pro - May 15, 2022
- 6 Ways Esports Players Can Improve Their Well-being and Performance - April 29, 2022